To search this Diabetes Blood Glucose Meters Page, hold "Ctrl" + "f" (PC) or "Cmd" + "f" (Mac) and type in your search word.
- COST: See Cost Coverage Information on the Topics Catalogue page for compassionate or cost savings resources per brand.
- Click here for Genteel Lancing Device info
- See Abbott below for blood ketone meters
- Blood glucose meters are listed by brand below and include links to user manuals and websites.The mention of products on this page is not an endorsement.
- Please ask patients to carefully investigate shipping costs and return policies when ordering online, and to check for strip expiration dates after receiving products regardless of where purchased. Patients report varied experiences with online ordering (good and bad).
- Glooko accepts uploads of most glucose meters and CGM. To have patients direct their data to a professional clinic account see the instructions on our patient webpage endometab.ca under Patients & Family > Appointment Preparation.
- Accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters
- Blood Glucose Meter Summary Sheet for Health Educators in our Topics Catalogue, to quickly learn how to access the memory in each meter.
- Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM) and CGM Brands
- Health Canada's Medical Devices Active Licence Listing (MDALL)
The Freestyle Precision Neo BG and Ketone meter is no longer available (unless the pharmacy has old stock)
- Freestyle Libre Reader and Libre 2 Reader: Although these are intended to "scan" Libre sensors, both of these hand held readers can measure blood glucose and blood ketones (using appropriate Abboote strips for each).
- Patients with IPTP who have coverage issues for Libre Reader as a keonte meter are to contact Blue Cross 1-800-661-6995 or have the pharmacy confirm with the Alberta Blue Cross pharmacy provider support team. For Psuedo DIN and PIN numbers for pharmacy, see here under sensor page.
- Insulin Dose Calculator is available to use on Libre Scanners ONLY if set up by a health educator (code CAA1c) and ONLY if the patient is using blood glucose testing with the scanner. It will not work with sensor readings or manually input glucose readings. Instructions are the same as for the old Insulinx meter here (for easy setup) and here (for advanced).
- See Cost Coverage Information on the Topics Catalogue page for compassionate or cost savings resources per brand.
- Calgary Reps:
ASCENSIA (previously Bayer)
- Click Here to view all Ascensia meters + User Guides
- Contour Next One; Contour Next; Contour Next EZ meters
- The app must be installed to adjust targets for Contour Next One. The Contour Next (no app) can have targets changed on the meter.
- Contour Next Link + Contour Next Link 2.4 meters (which pair with Medtronic 670G Insulin Pump)
- How-To Videos for all Ascensia meters and Contour Diabetes App (via YouTube)
“Contour Diabetes App” available for iOS, Android – Bluetooth compatible w/ Contour Next One meter
App – Instructions & Quick Tips:
- Set up: App Download, Set Up, Meter Pairing
- Ready to go: Testing, Reviewing Blood Glucose Results
- Contour Diabetes App - How to send reports to healthcare providers.pdf
- Menu > MyCare > Reports > Blood Sugar Diary (PDF can be emailed. Click here for sample report) or Blood Sugar Report Summary
- View data in the app on phone or via PDF reports sent from the app. Results can also be viewed and printed from the Contour Next One app's secure cloud account. The cloud account results can be delivered to other devices e.g. parent. Call company 1-800# or see page 23 of the Contour App User Manual.
- Download desktop GlucoFacts software and manual
Cell phone: 403-462-9726
Cell phone: 587-337-6581
See Cost Coverage Information on the Topics Catalogue page for compassionate or cost savings resources per brand.
GE 200 meter: Company website for Canada
A reduction in the price of GE strips (about $9.60 off retail) is available by using the Innovicares program when purchasing at the pharmacy. The pharmacies below can arrange this.
GE is available at Walmart, Safeway, Sobeys, London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart North Hill Shopping Centre & Rexall pharmacies and at the following independent outlets: Richmond Sq Pharmacy, Marshall Drugs, Sage Plus Pharmacy, Medicine Shoppe 4th St. SW, Cambrian Pharmacy., Calgary Drug Mart #13-10 Richard Way SW, Simon's Valley IDA. And close satellite communities, Two Pharmacy Cochrane, Shoppers Drug Mart Okotoks.
- The Genteel device advertises lancing without pain by controlling the depth of penetration and combining it with a vacuum.
- Visit Genteel Website
- There are instructional videos available for One Touch Verio Flex and One Touch Verio Reflect. The video for the One Touch Delica Lancing Device is here.
App: OneTouch Reveal in iOS, Android. Visit the app set up video.
Insulin Mentor (Bolus Calculator).
The food library in the app presents carbohydrate content that includes fibre. Fibre is not subtracted and the grams of fibre are not visible.
Here is how the App calculates the dose if there is insulin on board (IOB):
- If no BG is entered, the insulin dose for carb is not reduced
- If BG is entered, IOB is subtracted from the total dose of insulin
(insulin for carb + correction insulin)
Insulin Mentor Setup Steps:
- Open Reveal App
- Click “More” in top right hand corner
- Click “My settings”
- Turn on “Insulin Mentor” and enter your individual provider code
- Proceed to enter the settings for the patient
- You can allow them access to adjust settings (or not)
- If needed, download pdf Setup of Insulin Mentor , see complete setup instructions and support docs.
- Calgary Rep:
- Medisure Company Website
- Medisure Canada Compassionate program, please see Cost Coverage Information heading under our Topics Catalogue for details.
- Rep: Khaled Alghadeir
- Measures both blood glucose and blood ketones. Separate strips are required for each.
- May be available to order in at pharmacies. Strips are available online in Canada at DiabetesExpress.ca. The meter can also be ordered on-line on the NovaMax website.
Please note that Libre Glucose Sensor and phone app also has a text-to-speech option to read off individual scans.
- Only the Accu-Chek Guide is currently available. (Accu-Chek Aviva, Nano and Connect are no longer available.) All product training videos and user manuals are here.
- Roche offers Accu-chek Engage - an online behavioral change support program, for patients who are using the Accu-chek meter. Please see our Topics catalogue for more information.
- The App “MySugr” was purchased by Roche and is compatible with the Accu-Chek Guide, connecting via Bluetooth. Once the Accu-chek Guide is paired with the app and data is downloaded (see instructions along with sample logbook here), the app will upgrade to a free "Pro" version to permit emailing of logbook data. Data might include insulin dose, g carb and food pictures if entered by the patient at the time.
- Link to healthcare professional resources (quick start guides, MySugr info).
- National assistance number 1-800-363-7949
- Markets the "SiteSmart" pen needles (coloured pen needles to encourage site rotation)