Medtronic pumps available in Canada include the MiniMed 630G and the MiniMed 670G & 770G Hybrid Closed-Loop insulin pumps.
The Medtronic 770G insulin pump was approved by Health Canada in December, 2020 and will soon be available in Canada (first quarter 2021).
- The 770G will be upgradeable via software.
- The pump and transmitter are both new.
- The glucose sensor (Guardian Sensor 3) is the same as used with 670G. It requires twice daily calibrations.
- The pump and new transmitter will communicate to each other and to a MiniMed Mobile phone app via Bluetooth.
- Data will be visible on the app and will be uploaded to Carelink (cloud server) automatically. The app will not program the pump.
- As per Medtronic's previous pump model, the option exists to use suspend-before-low or in addition to that, to allow for more automated insulin adjustments (e.g. AutoMode).
- Carb counting and manual meal bolusing are required.
- For more information visit Medtronic.
The Auto Mode feature of the Medtronic 670G pump automatically adjusts basal insulin every 5 minutes. "Setting" basal insulin profiles by missing meals is not required because:
- Auto Mode feature functions like a “dimmer switch”. It turns basal insulin up, down or off to attempt to maintain a target of 6.7 mmol/L (before and after meals). A temporary target of 8.3 mmol/L may be programmed by the pump user.
- Medtronic's proprietary (and unseen) algorithm uses recent and past glucose readings to determine basal insulin needs.
- The basal insulin provided is different every day. There will be times the patient receives no (zero) basal insulin. See here.
The Auto Mode feature makes suggestions for correction insulin and meal bolus insulin. Patients must still accurately count carbohydrate and program into the pump. The pump's bolus advice for meals and corrections can be accepted or declined by the paitent. However, it cannot be modified.
In Auto Mode, patients will only be able to control the:
- Active insulin time
- Carbohydrate ratio.
The following are NOT available for use when the 670G is in Auto Mode (they are available in Manual Mode):
- Temporary basal
- Insulin sensitivity factor - ISF (The algorithm determines a correction dose based on recent insulin delivery, not on ISF. The patient may accept or decline the dose.)
- Dual or square wave bolus
- Pre-set boluses
- Easy bolus
- Manual bolus
- Remote bolus
Additional Auto Mode information:
- Auto Mode requires regular blood glucose calibrations of CGM and additional blood glucose tests when the pump requests.
- The pump can exit out of Auto Mode under certain conditions. In this case, the pump will use "Safe Basal."
- Safe Basal is an automatic function. It is a constant basal rate based on recent insulin delivery history. No automatic adjustment of basal rates is done in Safe Basal and the sensor glucose data is not used. Safe Basal allows the user time to take the actions needed to resume Auto Mode (eg. input a blood glucose reading). If actions aren't taken to resume Auto Mode, then after 90 minutes of Safe Basal the pump will return to Manual Mode (e.g. it will function like a normal pump using programmed pump basal settings).
- Although Auto Mode delivers a different amount of basal insulin each day, periodically the manual basal rates should be updated to reflect the overall pattern of recent Auto Mode basal insulin delivery as seen in Carelink reports.
- VIRTUAL 770G MEDTRONIC PUMP: Click here. Works on mobile and desktop (desktop, hide the virtual keyboard if it shows by clicking the round keyboard logo top right.)
- 770G User Guide
- 770G Menu Map (webpage)
- Getting Started Booklets for: 770G Pump CGM, AutoMode
- MiniMed Mobile App Quick Reference Guide
- 770G System Training Page for Patients (Videos)
- Older models: 670G Menu Map and 670G User Guide (U.S. Minimed 670 Support Page is comprehensive) and 630G User Guide
- Carelink Reports
- Medtronic Webinars for Professionals
- Protocol for Hybrid Closed Loop Technology(pdf) with 670G (Medtronic)
- Auto Mode Patient Handout (AHS)
Carelink Setup Training for 670G
- Provide patients this setup video: CareLink - Getting Started at Home (youtube)
- CareLink Personal Login to access patient data.
- Carelink Support Page
- Carelink Install Guide.pdf
- *The MiniMed 770G System Training Page for Patients (Videos)*
- Active insulin time: Adjusting video
- Alarms: Clear alert or alarm video
- AutoMode: Adjust Insulin-to-carb ratio video
- AutoMode: The ABC's of Managing AutoMode- 2020 (PDF)
- AutoMode: Exit Reason Reference Guide (PDF)
- Basal rate: Making a change in manual mode video
- Bolus with no glucose data video
- Carelink: Getting Started with Carelink Personal video (13 min, 2020-04)
- Carelink: How to upload your information to carelink video (3 min, 2018-05)
- CGM automatically connect transmitter video
- CGM manually connect transmitter video
- CGM inserting sensor video
- CGM taping sensor video
- CGM taping tips PDF
- CGM home screen video
- CGM personalized alerts/alarms (15 min) video
- CGM Tips & Tricks (15 min, 2020-05) video
- Display options video
- Infusion set best practices and taping tips (PDF-2020)
- Infusion Set Videos (there are 10 second delays to start videos)
- Infusion Sites and Rotation video
- Reservoir Fill video
- Other 670G patient training materials, videos
Cannula Fills Set Name Cannula Length Cannula Fill Silhouette 13 mm or 17 mm 0.7 unit Mio 30 13 mm 0.7 unit Quick Set 6 mm
Mio 6 mm
Mio Advanced 6 mm 0.6 unit Sure-T 6 mm or 8 mm Zero unit
- CONTACTS- MEDTRONIC
- Medtronic Canada
- Customer care: 1-800-284-4416
- FIELD SAFETY NOTIFICATIONS (Canada)
- 2021-03-09 Advise patients not to use CGM while taking hydroxyurea: Medications with hydroxyurea could result in falsely elevated sensor glucose (SG) readings in enhanced Enlite™ sensor or a Guardian™ Sensor (3). Hydroxyurea is also known in Canada by other names, such as Hydrea™, Apo-Hydroxyurea™, Mylan-Hydroxyurea™*or hydroxycarbamide. (note, also impacted are readings from Dexcom G5 & 6 but not Libre see here)
- 2020-03 Medtronic 630G Incorrect Rise Alert
- 2019-11 Medtronic Series 600 Pump Retainer Ring