Diabetes Workshops for Healthcare Professionals (HCP) are offered by the Diabetes Centre Calgary, Endocrinology and Metabolism Program. They are offered in person, three times a year and at no cost for registrants since 2012. Each of the basic, intermediate and advanced workshops is one day in length. Please register for any individual workshop, or any series of workshops, that best meets your needs. Unless otherwise indicated, workshops are held in the Solarium of the Richmond Road Diagnostic and Treatment Centre in Calgary, Alberta.
At this time, due to COVID restrictions, workshops are being offered virtually, using Zoom.
To register, please click the relevant dates. You'll be directed to Eventbrite to register online.
2020 Schedule for Diabetes Workshops for Healthcare Professionals
Richmond Road Diagnostic and Treatment Centre
1820 Richmond Rd SW, Calgary, AB T2T 5C7
Room: Solarium 4th floor (At this time, due to COVID restrictions, workshops are being offered virtually, using Zoom.)
- Feb 3rd Basic Diabetes Workshop. Completed.
- Feb 7th, Intermediate Diabetes Workshop. Completed.
- Feb 10th, Advanced Diabetes Workshop. Completed.
- June 10th, Basic Diabetes Workshop. Completed.
- June 17th, Intermediate Diabetes Workshop. Completed.
- June 24th, Advanced Diabetes Workshop.Completed.
- October 14, Basic Diabetes Workshop. Register via Eventbrite
- October 21, Intermediate Diabetes Workshop. Register via Eventbrite
- October 28, Advanced Diabetes Workshop. Register via Eventbrite
- Merge the medical and client centered approaches with case examples
- Increase confidence, knowledge and skills
- Provide practice accessing and using resources
- Encourage attendees to share, question, explore and build on topics
- Reinforce what’s known; review what’s new; refresh what’s forgotten
- Have fun. It’s inevitable.
There are always new questions, new perspectives, new ideas.
Our workshops benefit from the shared experiences of attendees from specialty clinics, PCNs, community and private services from across Alberta who have included:
- Behavioral Health Consultants
- LPNs, MOAs
- Nurse Practitioners
- Social Workers
- And more …
Basic Diabetes Workshop
The one day basic workshop provides large and small group practice sessions and scenarios for all aspects of diabetes appointments. Topics are arranged in the order of a typical diabetes outpatient appointment. Topics include setting and prioritizing agendas as well as advising and assisting clients on management options while keeping client conviction and confidence levels in mind. The focus is on safety, individualizing targets and care, and on preparing you for real-life scenarios.
Intermediate Diabetes Workshop
The one day intermediate workshop includes large and small group practice intensifying diabetes management through choosing second and third line medications, adjustment of diabetes agents, the teaching of insulin starts and basal insulin adjustment.
Advanced Diabetes Workshop
The one day advanced workshop includes considerable small group/individual practice with bolus starts and complex insulin adjustments. Cases involve the creation, analysis and adjustment of basal/bolus therapies with both “set meal boluses” and insulin-to-carbohydrate ratios and sensitivity factors. Other topics include travel plans and insulin dosing errors. The Insulin Adjustment: Desktop Reference (AHS, Endocrinology and Metabolism Program) is used extensively in this workshop, particularly in the analysis of blood glucose results that are erratic.