Below is a list of current industry sponsored events for healthcare professionals that we've been informed of at Diabetes Centre Calgary. We cannot speak to the validity or relevance of information presented and do not accept responsibility for any aspect of these events. Health care professionals choosing to attend industry sponsored events are encouraged to use professional judgment and critically evaluate data presented. We advise health care professionals discuss attendance and/or participation at industry sponsored events with their management team if concerned about possible conflict of interest. Please note, we will delete past events.
IDF Virtual Congress Dec 6-11, 2021
The International Diabetes Foundation will host a global virtual event from December 6 to December 11 2021. The IDF Virtual Congress 2021 will involve the latest research on diabetes complications, a stream dedicated to COVID-19 and diabetes, a session dedicated to the centenary of insulin and the launch of the IDF Diabetes Atlas 10th Edition. Follow at this link for updates.
2021 Diabetes Canada Peer Connect: HCP Volunteer Speakers Needed
- Volunteer Speakers Needed for Diabetes Canada Initiative “The Peer Connect Program”
- Diabetes Canada is looking to virtually connect people with Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes by introducing a new initiative, “The Peer Connect Program”.
- Volunteers are requested for these quarterly sessions for the public over Zoom from 7:00 - 8:45PM, following are the areas:
- To create and present a 15-minute presentation based on their topic of interest.
- To be a part of the expert panel discussions (time commitment: 30 minutes per session)
- o help facilitate the breakout sessions (time commitment: 15 minutes)
- The sessions details are as follows in 2021:
Limited time (2020 and early 2021): Dexcom "Getting Started with the Dexcom G6 App"
April 6, 2021 11:00 EST: Getting to Goal with Fixed Ratio Combination Therapy (Sanofi)
April 6, 2021 7:00 pm EST: Overlooking the Lows (Eli Lilly)
Speaker: Dr. Alice Cheng, MD, FRCPC
To register, visit https://www.lpronline.com/?mID=92
This discussion-based educational program details conversations between physicians and patients/caregivers to prepare them for severe hypoglycemic events. The program format consists of bite-sized modules and patient cases that will be presented during 1-hour or 1.5-hour CME sessions.
Program Learning Objectives:
- Explain the characteristics, incidence, and risk factors for severe hypoglycemia in people living with type 2 diabetes.
- Incorporate effective communication strategies with patients and caregivers to minimize the risks and occurrence of severe hypoglycemia.
- Apply strategies to effectively manage episodes of severe hypoglycemia.
April 8, 2021, 7:00 to 8:00 pm MST: Focus on Fixed-Ratio Combination Therapy
Webinar looking at the combination of basal insulin + GLP-1 RA. Speaker: Dr Tharsan Sivakumar.
April 13 - June 1, 2021: 100 Years of Insulin - Alberta Diabetes Institute (U of A) Webinar Series
See here for more information. The series has remaining sessions on April 13, 27, May 4, 18, June 1. The half day event is on June 16th.
April 14, 2021 Double Down Diabetes Therapy for Special Patient Populations (Sanofi) - Zoom
7-8:00 pm MST
Presented by Dr. Jeff Winterstein MD
By attending this program, you will:
- Review the scientific literature on the newest insulins and devices for the management of Type 2 diabetes
- Translate learning into clinical practice through the discussion of a specific patient case
- Gain practical and clinical skills to address First Nations people with Diabetes and address hypoglycemia management
April 14 to June 17, 2021: Moving the Needle (Novo Nordisk) - Zoom
- Apr 14 7:00 - 8:30 pm EST: Antihyperglycemic agents & A1c targets
- Apr 15 8:30 - 10:00 pm EST: Cardiorenal protection & Changing guidelines for T2DM
- Apr 28 6:30 - 8:00 pm EST: Common issues with T2DM pharmacotherapy
- May 25 9:00 - 10:00 pm EST: A1c targets
- June 15 12:00 - 1:00 pm EST: Changing guidelines for T2DM
- June 17 7:00 - 8:30 pm EST: Antihyperglycemic agents & Common issues with T2DM pharmacotherapy
For more information, and to register, please see this handout.
April 22, 2021 Webinar - "Overlooking the Lows" (You may be missing severe hypoglycemia)
6:15 - 7:30 pm MDT
Presented by Dr. Sue Pedersen
By attending this program, you will:
- Explain the characteristics, incidence, incidence,and risk factors for severe hypoglycemia in people living with type 2 diabetes
- Incorporate effective communication strategies with patients and caregivers to minimize the risks and occurrence for severe hypoglycemia
- Apply strategies to effectively manage episodes for severe hypoglycemia
No date limit: South Health Campus Wellness Centre
The South Health Campus Wellness Centre, in cooperation with the Y, offers educational programs for staff and patients. Programs include courses on emothional health, making lifestyle changes, healthy eating and more. During COVID, the programs are being offered virtually. For details, please see www.ahs.ca/shcwellness
No date limit: Sanofi sponsored learning modules
Education program on second generational basal analogues in the clinical management of type 2 diabetes. The self-learning program is comprised of 3 learning modules. Go to this website for more information: https://focusprogram.ca/
No date limit Webinar: Lifescan, Solutions to support patients beyond COVID-19
Title: "I’m scared and alone": Let’s Reveal solutions to support our patients beyond COVID-19
Duration: 59 minutes
Available On Demand
Dr. Michel Vallis, Psychologist and Janice Knapp, Diabetes Nurse Educator
- Provide a framework for understanding the psychological impact of COVID-19 and social isolation
- Review evidence-based coping strategies that help manage distress
- Provide a strategy to promote improved diabetes self-management
- Understand how to apply available technologies to pivot patients back on track.
No date limit: Lifescan Diabetes Institute Webinars
Lifescan is sponsoring a number of different educational webinars. Topics include smartphone technology for diabetes management, supporting sustained behaviour change, and many more. Webinars are recorded and can be viewed at your convenience. For more information visit: https://www.lifescandiabetesinstitute.com/webinar/technology-and-emerging-science