A reminder: Ctrl + f on your keyboard lets you easily search this page for keywords. (Cmd + f for mac)
Message to Referrers during COVID-19 Management
Due to the ongoing concern of COVID-19, the Endocrinology & Metabolism Program of Calgary made changes to how we deliver non-essential services. Routine referrals may be returned with the request to refer at a later date, or they may be held for assessment at a future unknown date. Referrers will be informed of the status.
We will continue to accept Diabetes referrals meeting our new temporary triage criteria (Please visit our ucalgary site for these triage criteria) as well as Diabetes in Pregnancy referrals. We will connect with Diabetes and Bariatric patients with safety concerns or urgent needs.
Alberta Health Services (AHS) and Primary Care Network Patient Services
Patient Diabetes Assessments
- Diabetes Centre Calgary (DCC- AHS)
Endocrinology and Metabolism Program, Alberta Health Services - AHS
Download Referral to DCC Educator-Clinicians (RN, RD, pharmacist, psycho-social team).
Central Booking: 403-955-8146 Central Fax for Referrals: 403-476-9626 (Note:This fax number changed Dec 2020).
- Patient eligiblity for DCC: see Alberta Referral Directory, under Service Description
- Insulin Pump: Patients referred for enrollment in the Alberta Insulin Pump Therapy program are required to have a specialist MD on the IPTP Designated Physician List.
- Additional Services: All Endocrinology and Metabolism Program services are listed on our UCalgary website.
- Division of Endocrinology, University of Calgary (AHS) (AHS)
Download Referral to Endocrinologist
Central Booking: 403-955-8146 Central Fax: 403-955-8634 (referrals)
- For referral to endocrinologists
- For referral to endocrinologists
- Diabetes in Pregnancy (DIP) Clinics (AHS, Calgary)
Download Referral to DCC Diabetes in Pregnancy Clinic,
- A referral includes access to diabetes educators (includes nurses, dietitians and psycho-social team) and endocrinologists (when required.)
- FMC Phone: 403-944-2122; Fax: 403-776-3836
- RGH Phone: 403-943-3495; Fax: 403-776-3838
- PLC Phone: 403-943-4862; Fax: 403-776-3837
- SHC Phone: 403-956-2578; Fax: 403-776-3839
- Calgary Rural Diabetes Clinics (AHS)
- These clinics use a central referral and booking system.
- Use the Alberta Referral Directory to obtain referral documents to clinics in Airdrie, Banff, Black Diamond, Canmore, Claresholm, Didsbury, High River, Nanton, Okotoks, Strathmore, Vulcan
- Patients seen include those with Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes. A pregnant women with Type 1 or Type 2 or a patient with GDM who needs insulin would be referred to DIP.
- For referral to diabetes educators (includes nurses and dietitians) only.
- Central Phone: 1-844-445-5588 Central Fax: 1 403-776-3801
- Alberta Healthy Living Program (AHLP, AHS)
- Calgary Zone AHLP offers those who have attended their type 2 Diabetes Essentials Education Class the opportunity to have counseling by their dietitians. Anyone can refer, using this referral form, or the patient can self-refer.
- Central Zone and South Zone AHLP offer dietitian and nursing assessments through their programs (the zone Diabetes Centre is housed in AHLP).
- Calgary and area Primary Care Networks
Please connect with the appropriate PCN to ask about the availability of diabetes educator appointments. Mosiac PCN also has a Refuge Health Clinic.
- Private Diabetes Services
Please use your browser to search for other Calgary Diabetes Services outside of Alberta Health Services
- Indigenous Health Services
- Morley: See Stoney Health Diabetes Clinic or contact Stoney Health Services 403-881-3920
- Telehealth Diabetes Team: AHS CDM RN and RD (Dave Smith RD, CDE ). Educators can call Siksika MOA Jamie Yellow Fly at 403-734-5649 to setup a referral. See notes under point below regarding type 1 diabetes.
- Strathmore Diabetes Clinic (see the point above on Calgary Rural Diabetes Clincis): People with type 1 diabetes living in Siksika should be referred to Strathmore Diabetes Clinic. Referrals to the AHS Diabetes Telehealth team are only available if the referring MD requests and contacts the team to discuss in advance.
- Tsuut'ina Health Centre: 403-251-7575 or fax referral to 403-238-1481
Patient Diabetes Classes
- Alberta Healthy Living Program Diabetes Classes
- Calgary and area Primary Care Networks - please connect with the PCN to ask about available classes
Other Patient Resources
- Visit our Ucalgary Patient Website at www.endometab.ca for handouts, videos and pre-appointment assessment questionnaires.
Physician Phone Consults with Endocrinologists: Specialist Link
- This service is for physicians to use to consult other physician specialists, including endocrinologists.
- Local: 403.910.2551 Toll Free: 1.844.962.5456 (LINK)
- Get a call-back within one hour!
Other Endocrinology and Metabolism Program (Calgary Zone) Clinic Referrals: