A reminder: Ctrl + f on your keyboard lets you easily search this page for keywords. (Cmd + f for mac)
Please visit our ucalgary site for these triage criteria as well as Diabetes in Pregnancy referrals.
Alberta Health Services (AHS) and Primary Care Network Patient Services
Patient Diabetes Assessments
- Diabetes Centre Calgary (DCC- AHS)
Endocrinology and Metabolism Program, Alberta Health Services - AHS
Download Referral to DCC Educator-Clinicians (RN, RD, pharmacist, psycho-social team).
Central Booking: 403-955-8146 Central Fax for Referrals: 403-476-9626 (Note:This fax number changed Dec 2020).
- Patient eligiblity for DCC: see Alberta Referral Directory, under Service Description
- Insulin Pump: Patients referred for enrollment in the Alberta Insulin Pump Therapy program are required to have a specialist MD on the IPTP Designated Physician List.
- Additional Services: All Endocrinology and Metabolism Program services are listed on our UCalgary website.
- Division of Endocrinology, University of Calgary (AHS) (AHS)
Download Referral to Endocrinologist
Central Booking: 403-955-8146 Central Fax: 403-955-8634 (referrals)
- For referral to endocrinologists
- For referral to endocrinologists
- Diabetes in Pregnancy (DIP) Clinics (AHS, Calgary)
Download Referral to DCC Diabetes in Pregnancy Clinic,
- A referral includes access to diabetes educators (includes nurses, dietitians and psycho-social team) and endocrinologists (when required.)
- FMC Phone: 403-944-2122; Fax: 403-776-3836
- RGH Phone: 403-943-3495; Fax: 403-776-3838
- PLC Phone: 403-943-4862; Fax: 403-776-3837
- SHC Phone: 403-956-2575; Fax: 403-776-3839
- Calgary Rural Diabetes Clinics (AHS)
- These clinics use a central referral and booking system.
- Central Phone: 1-844-445-5588 Central Fax: 1 403-776-3801
- For referral to diabetes educators (includes nurses and dietitians) only.
- For quick access to addresses, use Inform Alberta's page for Calgary Rural Diabetes Programs page
- For referral documents, use the Alberta Referral Directory
- Clinics in Airdrie, Banff, Canmore, Claresholm, Didsbury, High River (incl Black Diamond, Nanton, Okotoks, Vulcan), Strathmore (includes Hannah & Standard)
- Patients seen include those with Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes. A pregnant women with Type 1 or Type 2 or a patient with GDM who needs insulin would be referred to DIP.
- Renal Diabetes Nurse
- Alberta Kidney Care-South (AKC-S) has one diabetes educator who will see diabetes patients in their program, meeting strict criteria (see link above for details).
- Patients need to be referred by one of the AKC-S healthcare providers.
- Alberta Healthy Living Program (AHLP, AHS)
- AHLP classes, including their type 2 class, titled 'Tips for Eating: Prediabetes and Diabetes', can be booked on-line at Alberta Healthy Living Program or by phoning 1-844-527-1160.
- People who have attended the AHLP type 2 Diabetes Class, may choose to have one-on-one dietitian counseling. Anyone can refer, using this referral form, or the patient can self-refer.
- Central Zone and South Zone AHLP offer dietitian and nursing assessments through their programs (the zone Diabetes Centre is housed in AHLP).
- Calgary and area Primary Care Networks
Please connect with the appropriate PCN to ask about the availability of diabetes educator appointments. Mosiac PCN also has a Refuge Health Clinic.
- Private Diabetes Services
Please use your browser to search for other Calgary Diabetes Services outside of Alberta Health Services
- Indigenous Health Services
- Morley: See Stoney Health Diabetes Clinic or contact Stoney Health Services 403-881-3920
- Siksika Health Services Phone: 403-734-5600; CONFIDENTIAL FAX: 403-734-3900.
- Telehealth Diabetes Team: AHS CDM RN and RD (Dave Smith RD, CDE ). Educators can call Siksika MOA Jamie Yellow Fly at 403-734-5649 to setup a referral. See notes under point below regarding type 1 diabetes.
- Strathmore Diabetes Clinic (see the point above on Calgary Rural Diabetes Clincis): People with type 1 diabetes living in Siksika can be referred to Strathmore Diabetes Clinic. Referrals to the AHS Diabetes Telehealth team are only available if the referring MD requests and contacts the team to discuss in advance.
- Tsuut'ina Health Centre: 403-251-7575 or fax referral to 403-238-1481
Patient Diabetes Classes
- Alberta Healthy Living Program Diabetes Classes
- Calgary and area Primary Care Networks - please connect with the PCN to ask about available classes
Other Patient Resources
- Visit our Ucalgary Patient Website at www.endometab.ca for handouts, videos and pre-appointment assessment questionnaires.
Physician Phone Consults with Endocrinologists: Specialist Link
- This service is for physicians to use to consult other physician specialists, including endocrinologists.
- Local: 403.910.2551 Toll Free: 1.844.962.5456 (LINK)
- Get a call-back within one hour!
Other Endocrinology and Metabolism Program (Calgary Zone) Clinic Referrals: